Roundtable: Writing Effective IEPs and Goals for Students Who Use AAC
Click To Play
Join Rachel, Chris, and Lucas this week for a roundtable discussion about writing Individualized Education Plan (IEP) goals for students with complex communication needs (CCN). Topics discussed in this roundtable include:
- Why augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) devices should be used in early intervention and not just as an ‘intervention of last resort” for students with CCN.
- Using the accommodations section to detail what the student needs as part of his or her free appropriate public education.
- Adding minutes for coaching the circle of support about AAC on the IEP as a “related service” instead of a “direct service”
- Why listing a specific system or app in the IEP can cause problems, and how those problems can be avoided by describing, rather than naming, the system.
- Why accessories for AAC devices (keyguard, switches) should be included in the IEP.
- Why new training goals may be important when there is a major change in the circle of support.
- Why being specific about what you are going to measure in a goal is critical when you are measuring it later
- The need to go beyond requesting when writing goals – include commenting protesting, asking questions, etc.
- AAC therapy is language therapy – in many cases you don’t even need to mention the system or app when writing a language goal
- Who should be responsible for an AAC-related goal on the IEP?
Hosts: Rachael Madel, Lucas Steuber, and Chris Bugaj
Producer: Luke Padgett
Audio Engineer: Michaela Ball
Music: “Ebb and Flow” by Fabian Measures
Integrate digital into your work with a special 10% discount on Q-interactive. Clinicians will get access to 20 of Pearson’s most trusted assessments including PPVT-5, EVT-3, GFTA-3 and more!
CALL 800.627.7271 to use Promo Code TWT18 for 10% off your new Q-interactive license
Learn more at pearsonclinical.com/q-interactive
FREE TRIAL: Integrate digital into your practice with a FREE 30-day trial of Q-interactive for SLPs!
Get started at PearsonClinical.com/twt18
Q-interactive provides a new way for speech language pathologists to test and score speech assessments that leads to improved outcomes for the clients you serve each day. This platform offers the world’s most advanced testing tools with the convenience of today’s technology. This 1:1 iPad assessment system allows SLPs to quickly create unique, client-centric batteries at both the instrument and subtest levels.
Q-interactive’s growing library now include access to up to 20 of Pearson’s most trusted tests including CELF-5, GFTA-3, KLPA-3, GFTA-3 Spanish, PPVT-5 and EVT-3. It improves administration accuracy and speed, provides real-time scoring, and allows for unheard of flexibility in just a few simple taps. Q-interactive provides a more effective way to do your job, serve your clients, and evolve your practice or school while saving money. All your assessment tools fit in the palm of your hand: two iPads, one stylus and an annual license. Read about some of the users who have made the switch from paper to digital assessments and have not looked back!
Try Q-interactive risk free for 30 days!
Promotion Code information for 10% off Q-interactive
Use Promo Code: TWT18
*Applies to new users only