Jenna Rayburn Kirk: Founder of Speech Room News & Popular TPT Contributor
Click To Play
This week, TWT interviews Jenna Rayburn Kirk, school-based SLP, blogger, and successful TPT contributor! Jenna shares about how she got started, the kinds of AAC resources and materials that she thinks are effective, and how she continues to create resources that people find useful at home and in therapy! Before the interview, Chris and Rachel discuss their own experiences with making materials and, in Rachel’s case, why she recently decided to create a Teachers Pay Teachers page. Rachel and Chris also talk about some apps that they have used recently in therapy, including Choice Works and AR Dragon. Finally, Chris discusses “core kits,” a low-tech core vocabulary strategy that he uses when he needs a quick therapy idea.
Next, Rachel interviews Jenna Rayburn Kirk! Jenna talks about how she juggles being a full-time school SLP, AAC specialist, and an entrepreneur; why she is motivated to share her ideas; and how she has gotten to be so popular (over 25,000 followers) on Teachers Pay Teachers! Jenna covers useful topics in AAC and materials creation, including:
1) Why parent handouts are such an effective way to improve AAC implementation at home.
2) Why it is helpful to be specific about how to get modeling and working on core vocabulary.
3) Why we need to be flexible in how we approach asking for help from the circle of support.
4) Why getting buy-in from someone is easier when you show them how you are solving a problem they have.
5) Why it is so important to build strong relationships with teachers, caregivers, and parents.
6) Why some students need a “short term” assistive technology plan; not everyone who needs AAC needs it for years.
7) How a school can fill the gap between identification of an AAC need and getting a device funded by having devices available to everyone in the classroom.
8) Why “waiting for words” can delay language too much, because “there is no reason to stunt expressive language while we wait for speech sounds.”
Hosts: Rachael Madel and Chris Bugaj
Producer: Luke Padgett
Audio Engineer: Michaela Ball
Music: “Ebb and Flow” by Fabian Measures
Integrate digital into your work with a special 10% discount on Q-interactive. Clinicians will get access to 20 of Pearson’s most trusted assessments including PPVT-5, EVT-3, GFTA-3 and more!
CALL 800.627.7271 to use Promo Code TWT18 for 10% off your new Q-interactive license
Learn more at pearsonclinical.com/q-interactive
FREE TRIAL: Integrate digital into your practice with a FREE 30-day trial of Q-interactive for SLPs!
Get started at PearsonClinical.com/twt18
Q-interactive provides a new way for speech language pathologists to test and score speech assessments that leads to improved outcomes for the clients you serve each day. This platform offers the world’s most advanced testing tools with the convenience of today’s technology. This 1:1 iPad assessment system allows SLPs to quickly create unique, client-centric batteries at both the instrument and subtest levels.
Q-interactive’s growing library now include access to up to 20 of Pearson’s most trusted tests including CELF-5, GFTA-3, KLPA-3, GFTA-3 Spanish, PPVT-5 and EVT-3. It improves administration accuracy and speed, provides real-time scoring, and allows for unheard of flexibility in just a few simple taps. Q-interactive provides a more effective way to do your job, serve your clients, and evolve your practice or school while saving money. All your assessment tools fit in the palm of your hand: two iPads, one stylus and an annual license. Read about some of the users who have made the switch from paper to digital assessments and have not looked back!
Try Q-interactive risk free for 30 days!
Promotion Code information for 10% off Q-interactive
Use Promo Code: TWT18
*Applies to new users only