Dana Nieder: Presuming Potential for High-Tech AAC
Click To Play
This week, TWT interviews Dana Nieder about her journey as an advocate, writer, AAC specialist, speech-language pathologist, and AAC mom!
Before the interview, Rachel and Chris discuss their own experiences sharing resources on blogs and social media. Chris provides tips and tricks on writing and blogging (e.g., “it doesn’t always have to be long”), and Rachel discusses how she uses what she is passionate about to decide on what to create next, and how working to create and share resources has saved her from even more work repeating the same message to everyone.
Next, Chris interviews Dana Nieder about her journey as an SLP and parent of a child who uses AAC! Dana shares about how she always presumed her daughter’s potential, why she shared about her experiences on blogs and social media, and what her many experiences have taught her about AAC! Dana shares many helpful insights, including:
- How to deal with members of the circle of support who believe that an AAC user must “prove” they can use a high-tech device before one is provided to them;
- Why parents can be such valuable resources and why they are such a key part of any successful intervention;
- Why everyone in the circle of support needs to believe that an AAC intervention will be successful;
- Why we must presume that people with complex communication needs have the potential to succeed;
- How to “invest” in an AAC user’s circle of support, and why their buy-in and motivation is critical to success;
- Why we need to change how we support AAC depending upon both the role of the person and his or her comfort level with AAC;
- Why we should share AAC modeling videos with people who are unfamiliar with modeling on an AAC device;
- Why watching a video of a successful adult AAC user can be so motivating to the circle of support; and much more!
Uncommon Sense Blog: http://niederfamily.blogspot.com
Uncommon Sense Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/Uncommon-Sense-Blog-123130417730793/
Hosts: Rachael Madel and Chris Bugaj
Producer: Luke Padgett
Audio Engineer: Michaela Ball
Music: “Ebb and Flow” by Fabian Measures
Integrate digital into your work with a special 10% discount on Q-interactive. Clinicians will get access to 20 of Pearson’s most trusted assessments including PPVT-5, EVT-3, GFTA-3 and more!
CALL 800.627.7271 to use Promo Code TWT18 for 10% off your new Q-interactive license
Learn more at pearsonclinical.com/q-interactive
FREE TRIAL: Integrate digital into your practice with a FREE 30-day trial of Q-interactive for SLPs!
Get started at PearsonClinical.com/twt18
Q-interactive provides a new way for speech language pathologists to test and score speech assessments that leads to improved outcomes for the clients you serve each day. This platform offers the world’s most advanced testing tools with the convenience of today’s technology. This 1:1 iPad assessment system allows SLPs to quickly create unique, client-centric batteries at both the instrument and subtest levels.
Q-interactive’s growing library now include access to up to 20 of Pearson’s most trusted tests including CELF-5, GFTA-3, KLPA-3, GFTA-3 Spanish, PPVT-5 and EVT-3. It improves administration accuracy and speed, provides real-time scoring, and allows for unheard of flexibility in just a few simple taps. Q-interactive provides a more effective way to do your job, serve your clients, and evolve your practice or school while saving money. All your assessment tools fit in the palm of your hand: two iPads, one stylus and an annual license. Read about some of the users who have made the switch from paper to digital assessments and have not looked back!
Try Q-interactive risk free for 30 days!
Promotion Code information for 10% off Q-interactive
Use Promo Code: TWT18
*Applies to new users only