This course will present an evidence-based treatment approach to address social language deficits (including nonverbal language) through a real-life video-based peer modeling method that targets comprehension of social context cues, reading and using facial expressions, vocal inflections, tone of voice. Dr. Lavi will highlight specific skills such as detecting sarcasm, deceit, and expression of empathy. She will also review case studies and study results conducted with elementary, middle, and high school individuals with various neurodevelopmental disorders (N=41).
1. Explain how teaching nonverbal language such as paralinguistic decoding and use of paralinguistic cues is critical in improving social communication, specifically the ability to understand communicative intent and social context.
2. Identify and comparatively analyze pre and post-treatment study results with two clinical groups, high functioning autism, and social communication disorder.
3. Define communicative intent and explain instrumental versus affective intent and Pragmatic Judgment versus Performance in context of social communication, and their implications in social skills treatment.
- Enroll in this course.
- Return to this course and click on “Watch Live Webinar” at the designated time.
Need a Course Certificate?
- Achieve 80% on the Quiz
- Check your email for Course Certificate
All instructors receive income from course purchases at XceptionalED.
Dr. Lavi is the author of Social Skills Squad and the Clinical Assessment of Pragmatics (CAPs) test and receives royalty payments.
Will I receive a Course Certificate?
YES ~ BY EMAIL
Achieve 80% on the quiz
Receive Certificate via email.
Save and/or Print your Course Certificate and maintain for your records.
*This site does not maintain a copy of your Course Certificates.
SLPs we have you covered!
ASHA PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- XceptionalED Certificate courses can be submitted to ASHA as an acceptable professional development activity.
- Courses are eligible as Certificate Maintenance Hours (CMH)
- Course Certificate will be emailed to you after you achieve 80% on the quiz.
- Reference Links:
- ASHA Record Keeping Requirements:
- ASHA Registry and ACE Award:
XED is not an ASHA approved CE provider and our courses will not be submitted to the ASHA CE registry.
XceptionalED courses will not count towards the ASHA ACE Award.
- No worries:
Just Print and/or Save your Course Certificates to include as CMH (Certificate Maintenance Hours) towards Professional Development CEUs.
This course is approved for AZDHS continuing education credit.
XED is an approved Continuing Professional Development Provider by the Speech-Language Pathology, Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board for the State of California SLP.