When you get a new tool that will get lots of use (such as a cell phone or computer), you probably begin to customize it right away. That’s because tools are most useful when they fit your needs and preferences perfectly! It’s hard to imagine a more important tool than an AAC system that allows its owner to communicate and connect with others. In this session, participants will learn about considerations and strategies for customizing AAC systems for the people who use them. Vocabulary selection and customization, physical system personalization (decoration, carry straps, etc.), voice selection, visual considerations (icons, buttons, and backgrounds), navigational efficiency, motor plan consistency, social language access, and backups will be discussed. A resource document with relevant links will be provided to all course attendees.
- Identify two tools that can be used support personalization of vocabulary in AAC systems
- Name three ways an AAC device can be physically customized
- Explain the importance of adding personalized pre-stored social and emergency vocabulary
- Enroll in this course.
- Return to this course and click on “4. Watch Live Webinar” tab
at the designated Live Webinar time.
Need a Course Certificate?
- Achieve 80% on the Quiz
- Check your email for Course Certificate
All instructors receive income from course purchases at XceptionalED.
Lauren Enders receives speaking fees or honoraria as compensation for some of the presentations and workshops she delivers. Occasionally, she receives codes for apps or demo products for the purpose of trialing those apps or products with students prior to recommending apps or equipment. On occasion, she is given apps or products free of charge so that I can review the provided products and share my opinions about the products on my professional social media accounts. No relevant NON-financial relationships to disclose.
Will I receive a Course Certificate?
YES ~ BY EMAIL
Achieve 80% on the quiz
Receive Certificate via email.
Save and/or Print your Course Certificate and maintain for your records.
*This site does not maintain a copy of your Course Certificates.
SLPs we have you covered!
ASHA PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- XceptionalED Certificate courses can be submitted to ASHA as an acceptable professional development activity.
- Courses are eligible as Certificate Maintenance Hours (CMH)
- Course Certificate will be emailed to you after you achieve 80% on the quiz.
- Reference Links:
- ASHA Record Keeping Requirements:
- ASHA Registry and ACE Award:
XED is not an ASHA approved CE provider and our courses will not be submitted to the ASHA CE registry.
XceptionalED courses will not count towards the ASHA ACE Award.
- No worries:
Just Print and/or Save your Course Certificates to include as CMH (Certificate Maintenance Hours) towards Professional Development CEUs.
XED is an approved Continuing Professional Development Provider by the Speech-Language Pathology, Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board for the State of California SLP.