The science of safety paired with the evidence base of speech language and feeding interventions should be a part of every SLPs style. Safety is not the absence of danger; rather, it’s about the physiological response of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) when the body feels at rest and ready to connect with others. How can we provide the growing, diverse neurodivergent populations with dignified and respectful support? Focusing on the needs of each individual nervous system and responding to where they are on the “Polyvagal Ladder”. The presenter will provide a brief overview of the Polyvagal Theory, promote respect and validation of each child’s behavioral and adaptive responses, and offer co-regulation exercises to facilitate a safe and social treatment session. Begin your career as an SLP by befriending the nervous system.
1. Describe the autonomic nervous system (ANS) as a ladder including the three primary components 1) ventral vagal (safe/social) 2) sympathetic (fight/flight) and 3) Dorsal Vagal (immobilization).
2. Understand that every child’s response or behavior is an action in the service of survival, then validate and offer alternate communication options that presume competence.
3. Identify potential cues of danger in the environment, body language, and the learners own social engagement system and how to invite cues of safety into each speech therapy or feeding session.
- Enroll in this course.
- Return to this course and click on “4. Watch Live Webinar” tab
at the designated Live Webinar time.
Need a Course Certificate?
- Achieve 80% on the Quiz
- Check your email for Course Certificate
All presenters receive income from course purchases at XceptionalED.
Will I receive a Course Certificate?
YES ~ BY EMAIL
Achieve 80% on the quiz
Receive Certificate via email.
Save and/or Print your Course Certificate and maintain for your records.
*This site does not maintain a copy of your Course Certificates.
SLPs we have you covered!
ASHA PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- XceptionalED Certificate courses can be submitted to ASHA as an acceptable professional development activity.
- Courses are eligible as Certificate Maintenance Hours (CMH)
- Course Certificate will be emailed to you after you achieve 80% on the quiz.
- Reference Links:
- ASHA Record Keeping Requirements:
- ASHA Registry and ACE Award:
XED is not an ASHA approved CE provider and our courses will not be submitted to the ASHA CE registry.
XceptionalED courses will not count towards the ASHA ACE Award.
- No worries:
Just Print and/or Save your Course Certificates to include as CMH (Certificate Maintenance Hours) towards Professional Development CEUs.
XED is an approved Continuing Professional Development Provider by the Speech-Language Pathology, Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensers Board for the State of California SLP.